Pleasantville is a village in the town of Mount Pleasant, in Westchester County, New York. The village population was 7,019 at the 2010 census.
The settlement of Pleasantville dates back to an Iroquois tribe which raised corn there and which established trading routes crossing through the present-day village before the arrival of Europeans. French HuguenotIsaac See settled here as an agent for Dutch landowner Frederick Philipse in 1695, beginning the modern history of Pleasantville.As the area's population grew in the early 19th century, the settlement was called Clark’s Corners, referring to property owned by Henry Clark at the intersection of Broadway and Bedford Road. This area was the village’s original commercial center. In the 1820s, the newly appointed postmaster, Henry Romer, was directed by thePostmaster General's office in Washington, D.C., to give a name to the post office planned here. Romer's proposed name, Clarksville, was rejected because another New York post office already had the name. His second choice, Pleasantville, was accepted, and the Pleasantville Post Office opened on February 29, 1828. Pleasantville was incorporated as a village on March 16, 1897.