Tarrytown is a village in the town of Greenburgh in Westchester County, New York, United States. The population was 11,277 at the 2010 census.
The Native American Weckquaesgeek tribe, who were closely related to the Wappinger Confederacy and further related to the Mohicans, lived in the area prior to European settlement. They fished the Hudson River for shad, oysters and other shellfish. Their principal settlement was at what is now the foot of Church Street near the Hudson River shore, between the current location of Losee Park and the Tappan Zee Bridge, at a place they called Alipconk, or the "Place of Elms".The first European settlers of Tarrytown were Dutch farmers, fur trappers, and fishermen. Records show that the first Dutch residence in Tarrytown was built in 1645; however, the exact location of this residence is not known. Tarrytown sits within the lands of the former Dutch Colony of New Netherland which became English territory in 1674 with the signing of the Treaty of Westminster. The Dutch called the area "Terwe Town" (Wheat Town); the soil was light and ideal for growing cereal grains like wheat, leading to its Dutch name. Mispronounciations led to the current name of Tarrytown.Tarrytown was described in 1820 by the writer Washington Irving in "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow".