Tuckahoe is a village in the town of Eastchester in Westchester County, New York, United States. As of the 2010 census, the village's population was 6,486.
The name “Tuckahoe”, meaning “it is globular”, was a general term used by the Native Americans of the region when describing various bulbous roots which were used as food. Throughout the 1700s and 1800s, Tuckahoe was a rural, minor community which was part of the larger town of East Chester. It wasn't until the early nineteenth century that Tuckahoe first became a semi-prominent part of the New York Metropolitan Area upon the discovery of vast, high-quality, white marble deposits near the Bronx River by Scottish businessmanAlexander Masterson. Through the use of his financial wealth and influence, Masterson jump-started Tuckahoe's marble industry, opening the first marble quarry in 1812. The extremely high quality of "Tuckahoe Marble" was in great demand, quickly transforming the once quiet village into the "marble capital of the world". In the 1840s, to serve quarry owners who transported marble to the city, the New York and Harlem Railroadopened two train depots in Tuckahoe. The booming industry drew succeeding waves of German, Irish and Italian immigrant workers, and, after the Civil War, African-Americans who migrated from the South. The Tuckahoe quarries produced heavily for almost a century before supplies dwindled and the industry shut down.