Valley Cottage is a hamlet and census-designated place in the town of Clarkstown, Rockland County, New York, United States. It is located northeast of West Nyack, northwest of Central Nyack east of Bardonia, south ofCongers, and west of Upper Nyack. The population was 9,107 at the 2010 census.
According to George H. Burke's book Rockland County during the American Revolution, 1776–1781, Valley Cottage was once known as Storm's Corner.In 1876, just before the opening of the West Shore Railroad station, the residents assembled at the school room agreed on the name "Valley Cottage", referring to the house nearest the station "that cottage in the valley".Another version has it that the name of the hamlet came about because of a famous trotting horse named "Cottage Maid", owned by Ed Green who owned the land where the station, the Marcus store and other buildings stood. The first known resident of Valley Cottage was John Ryder, who owned a large farm which comprised all or most of the area's school district.The post office was first opened at the Valley Cottage Station in 1892.