Stayton is a city in Marion County, Oregon, United States, located 12 miles (19 km) southeast of the statecapital, Salem, on Oregon Route 22.
Stayton was founded by Drury Smith Stayton, who purchased the town site in 1866 and built a carding mill and sawmill on a watercourse of the North Santiam River. In 1872, he platted the town site, and that same year the community received a post office. A ferry crossing of the Santiam River operated from 1876 until a bridge was constructed in 1888. By 1880, a laundry had been established by Kee Sing and Tom. The first newspaper, The Stayton Sun, was published in 1889 by T. H. McGill.The founder of Stayton, Drury Stayton, originally wanted to name the city after his daughter, Florence Stayton. After his petition was denied by the post office because another city in Oregon was named Florence, he chose Stayton and named a street after his daughter. The city was incorporated as the Town of Stayton in 1891 after a failed attempt in 1884.