Troutdale is a city in Multnomah County, Oregon, U.S.A., north of Gresham and east of Wood Village. As of the2010 census, the city population was 15,962.
The community was once known as Sandy, after the nearby Sandy River; Sandy post office was established in 1854 and closed in 1868.In 1873, the current city of Sandy in Clackamas County, which formerly named "Revenue", established a different Sandy post office that is still in operation.Troutdale was named by pioneer John Harlow for the trout pond in a dale near his house. Troutdale post office was founded in 1880. In 1920, a company called the "Bissinger Company", or "Bissinger Wool Pullery", built a firm and a water tower in the city, which are both standing and can both be seen today. The company was supposedly featured on aRipley's Believe it or Not! column because a cat was found in a stack of animal hides that the company was going to use for its products. The cat was taken care of and became the company's mascot. The cat lived a long and healthy life. The water tower is now known as the "Old Historic Water Tower".