Abington Township is a township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States, adjacent toPhiladelphia's northern fringe.The population was 55,310 as of the 2010 census, making it the second most populous township in Montgomery County (following Lower Merion Township).
The land that comprises Abington today was purchased from the native Lenape by William Penn during the 1680s. By the next decade, a handful of European settlers built and lived in Hill Township, at the crossroads of Susquehanna Street Road and Old York Road. After brief times under other names, the township incorporated as Abington in 1704. The name's origin is not known. A local 1734 census counted 42 resident landowners.During the U.S. War of Independence, there was a small battle that took place at Edge Hill.Some institutions have been in Abington for most of its existence. The cornerstone of the original Abington Friends School, in operation since before Abington's incorporation, is used in today's school building. The Abington Presbyterian Church opened in the early years of the township, and while the original building is gone, its graveyard is still used today.The railroad reached the township in 1855,with the first station building erected in 1873 on the site of today'sNoble Station.Abington Senior High School and Fox Chase Farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.