Audubon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 8,433 at the 2010 census.
The villages that have comprised Lower Providence Township since the early eighteenth century include Evansburg, Shannonville (now called Audubon), Eagleville, and Providence Square.Lower Providence Township is currently bounded on the west by Upper Providence, on the northeast by Perkiomen and Worcester townships, on the southwest by Norriton, and on the south by the Schuylkill River. The area of the township is 9,143 acres (37.00 km2). Red shale predominates in the soils of this part of Montgomery County. Many years ago, lead mines were worked near Perkiomen Creek at Oaks, Pennsylvania, but did not generate profits. The mines were opened in 1800 and were being operated in 1818 by a Mr. Wetherell. The discovery of copperfollowed that of lead, and in January, 1848, the Perkiomen Mining Association was formed. Its land cost about $10,000; much costly machinery was placed in position and a shaft was dug. Many thousands of tons of copper were unearthed over the years until deposits were exhausted.Shannonville was named for a large, influential family in 1823, when a post office was established there. Jack's tavern—the present-day Audubon Inn—was opened here as well. Mr. Shannon was a prosperous pig farmer and hence the town gained the nickname "Hogtown".Present-day Audubon was christened in 1899 in honor of early-19th century resident John James Audubon, who resided at Mill Grove, located at the intersection of Audubon and Pawlings roads.