Bridgeport is a borough in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, 18 miles (29 km) north of Philadelphia on theSchuylkill River. The old-time industries were paper, flour, cotton, and woolen mills, steel works, brickyards, etc. Bridgeport is six miles (10 km) east of Valley Forge, Pennsylvania. In 1777, during the American Revolutionary War, General George Washington and the Continental Army passed through Bridgeport on their way to theirwinter encampment in Valley Forge. 3,097 people lived in Bridgeport in 1900; 3,860 in 1910; and 5,904 in 1940. The population was 4,554 at the 2010 census.According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), of which 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (13.33%) is water.