Hatboro is a borough in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 7,360 at the 2010 census.
The town of Hatboro is located on land purchased from William Penn by the family of Nicholas More around 1705. The first land titles in town were issued in 1711. Original construction by early residents of the town occurred between 1715 and 1719. Early settlement pre-dating the Hatboro name occurred in the Crooked Billet area east of York Road, between Moreland Avenue and Byberry Road.Early resident John Dawson entertained guests at the Crooked Billet Inn as well as manufacturing a line of hats. When the post office opened in 1809 the town was officially called Hatborough. U.S. Postmaster GeneralJohn Wanamaker officially changed the name of the town in the 1880s to Hatboro.The Union Library Company of Hatboro, the third library company to be founded in Pennsylvania, was formed in 1755. This building still stands on its original site today and still serves as a library. George Washingtonand his troops passed through the town numerous times during 1777 in pursuit of British Troops. The Battle of Crooked Billet was fought in 1778.The year 1811 saw the construction of the Loller Academy, the first bank was built in 1873, and railroad service connected to Hatboro in 1874.