Cross Plains is a city in Robertson County, Tennessee. The population was 1,714 at the 2010 census. Cross Plains is located at 36°32′42″N 86°40′27″W. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 8.3 square miles (21 km2), all land. In 1778, the first settlement in Robertson County was made by Thomas Kilgore on the waters of the Middle Fork of Red River, three-fourths of a mile west of Cross Plains. Cross Plains is the second oldest town in the county. The first building was a double log house erected by William Randolph in 1819, and used as a tavern.