Lewisburg is a city in Marshall County, Tennessee, United States. The population was 11,371 in 2014.
The area in which Lewisburg and Marshall County is located was first settled by Native Americans. Revolutionary War veterans given land grants by the State of North Carolina for services rendered during the war followed in the 1780s. Marshall County, named in honor of the young nation's strong first Supreme Court Chief Justice and noted American jurist, John Marshall, was established by an act of the Tennessee General Assembly in 1836. The act which created the county specified that the county seat be named Lewisburg to commemorate the deeds of frontier explorer Meriweather Lewis. Lewisburg was incorporated in 1837, on a site of 50 acres (200,000 m2) donated for civic purpose. Until 1925, the community served the area principally as a trading and shipping center for its livestock and farm produce. Marshall County is significant partly because of three Marshall Countians who have served as Governor of Tennessee: Henry Horton, Jim Nance McCord, and Buford Ellington. Today, Lewisburg/Marshall County is the home of several nationally known industries, and although it has experienced many thousand job losses in recent years, it still maintains a viable work force. It is also the World Headquarters of the Tennessee Walking Horse Breeders' and Exhibitors' Association.