Bridgeport is a city in Wise County, Texas, United States. The population was 5,976 at the 2010 census.
Bridgeport's history began in February 1860 when William H. Hunt was granted a charter from the West Fork Bridge Company to build a bridge across the West Fork of the Trinity River. The bridge was located approximately one mile southwest of the present townsite. A Texas State Historical Marker alongside Farm To Market Road 920 denotes the spot of the original bridge today. The wooden bridge was used for a portion of the Butterfield Overland Mail stage route. After the American Civil War began, the mail route was no longer used and the original wooden bridge was abandoned.