Burleson is a city in Johnson and Tarrant counties in the U.S. state of Texas. It is also a suburb of Fort Worth.
In 1881 the segment from Fort Worth to Alvarado was being laid out, and a midway depot was needed. Grenville M. Dodge, representing the railroad, purchased land for the depot and a town surrounding it from Rev. Henry C. Renfro at the site of what is now called "Old Town" Burleson. As part of the agreement, Renfro named the town Burleson, in honor of his teacher Rufus Columbus Burleson, the president of Baylor University. The first lot was sold on October 10, 1881, the date now considered to be the "founding day" of the city.The Burleson Post Office opened in 1882, inside a retail establishment, as was common for small towns at the time.By the end of the 1800s, Burleson was an ongoing rural town, with farms all around, schools, a grocery store, cotton gins and grist mills, a general store, a druggist, a bank, even a jeweler.