Carrollton is a city in Denton County, Dallas County and Collin County, Texas. As of the 2010 census, its population was 119,097 making it the twenty-third most populous city in Texas.
The area was first settled by Jared Ford in 1842 by William and Mary Larner on a site within the Peters Colony grant. In 1844, the A. W. Perry family claimed land in the area around Trinity Mills, where, in partnership with Wade H. Witt, a mill was established. The English colony, a group of families in the northeastern area of settlement which crossed into Denton County, was home to large landowners including the Furneaux, Jackson, Morgan, and Rowe families. It is most likely that Carrollton was named for Carrollton, Illinois, the original home of many of these settlers.