Decatur is a city located in Wise County, Texas, United States. It is the county seat. Decatur is part of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex and is located 25 miles northwest of Fort Worth and 45 miles northwest of Dallas.
Wise County was established in 1856, and Taylorsville (in honor of Zachary Taylor) was made the county seat. Absalom Bishop, an early settler and member of the Texas Legislature, opposed naming the town after a Whig Party member, and in 1858 arranged to have the name changed to Decatur, in honor of naval hero Stephen Decatur. In 1857, a post office was opened, and the first school was established in 1857. In the early 1860s, a courthouse was erected.