Harwood, in Gonzales County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 112 in 2000.
The community was founded in 1874 during the westward expansion of the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway. It was named after Thomas Moore Harwood, a lawyer from nearby Gonzales. At the time of its founding, a community known as Mule Creek was located one mile west of Harwood. A post office operated in Mule Creek from 1872 to 1874, when Harwood was granted a post office.To prevent the opening of a saloon that was opposed by most local residents, Harwood was incorporated in 1913. By 1990, Harwood had one large farm and ranch supply store, several businesses, and a community center with a collection of local memorabilia.