New Caney is an Unincorporated community in Montgomery County, Texas, United States within the Houston–Sugar Land–Baytown metropolitan area.
New Caney was established in 1862 under the name Presswood, named for its founders, pioneers, Austin and Sarah Waters Presswood. Captain John Robertson and other settlers followed, and cattle ranches, mills, and stores were opened along Caney Creek. In 1877, the town received a railroad from the East and West Texas Railway, and Caney Station became a shipping point for imports and exports, bringing more business to the area. In 1882, Presswood received its first post office, registered under the name New Caney, as the name Caney already was in use by another Texas town. This development led to the name of Presswood falling out of use, as New Caney became the preferred term.In 1884, the population of New Caney was sixty people. By 1892, it had grown to 150 residents and was able to support several general stores.Throughout the 20th century, the community continued to expand.