Newark is a city in Tarrant and Wise counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 1,005 at the 2010 census.
According to the Handbook of Texas, settlement began in the mid-1850s, referring to the community as Caddo Village because of numerous remnants of the Caddo Indian culture found along the banks of the West Fork of the Trinity River. After the Rock Island Railroad reached the town in 1893, officials surveyed town lots; the community was named after Newark, New Jersey, perhaps the hometown of G. K. Foster, the civil engineerwho helped survey the town. Newark was a prosperous farming community until the 1920s. It regained its status as a retail market for area farmers by the end of the 1940s. In 1951 Newark incorporated.