Quinlan is a rural city in the southern part of Hunt County, Texas, United States founded by H.E. Cotten located within the US Government designated Dallas–Fort Worth metropolitan area. It is also relatively close to Lake Tawakoni.
Quinlan was first known as Roberts, after Texas governor O. M. Roberts, who on October 26, 1882, sold 100 acres (0.40 km2) of land in southern Hunt County to the Texas Central Railroad. This land, "situated between the South and Caddo forks on the Sabine River, served as the location of the new town of Roberts.The line was reorganized as the Texas Midland Railroad in 1886 by Hetty Green, a bondholder in the defunct railroad, and the new road extended its track northward from Roberts through Greenville to Paris by 1894. In 1892 Edward H. R. Green, Hetty Green's son and president of the Texas Midland, abandoned Roberts as a depot and established a new depot town, Quinlan, 1½ miles north of the older community. The new community took its name from George Austin Quinlan, vice president and general manager of the Houston and Texas Central Railway.
Settlers moved quickly into Quinlan. The settlement received a post office in 1894.