Sanger is a city in Denton County, Texas, United States. The population was 6,916 at the 2010 census.
Sanger was founded in 1886 as a stop on the Santa Fe Railroad. Cattle from the ranches of north Denton County were driven up the old cattle trails through Sanger to northern markets. The cattle industry of the prairies of north Denton County contributed to the founding of the town, and wheat growing contributed substantially to its economy, as did the production of oats, maize,millet and cotton. The Santa Fe named Sanger in honor of one of its customers, the Sanger family, who owned stores in Wacoand Dallas. The F.M. Ready family was the first to settle in Sanger in October 1887, the same year as the first engine and caboose. Following the decline of the original rail line (the line still exists as a main line for BNSF Railway between Fort Worth and Oklahoma City), the 1920 building of a state highway that connected Sanger and Dallas helped compensate for the declining rail business.Cattle and other livestock are raised around Sanger, and there are several horse farms for the breeding and training of registered stock. The oldest continual business was Wilson Lumber Company, founded by Andy Marshall Wilson in the 1890s. His son, T.C. (Tilford Clifton Wilson), expanded the business and was the longest serving city councilman and mayor in Sanger history. Wilson Lumber Company was finally sold by the family in 2001, becoming Denton County Building Supply.