Schertz is a city in Guadalupe, Bexar, and Comal counties in the U.S. state of Texas, within theSan Antonio–New Braunfels metropolitan area. The population was 34,883 as of the 2012 U.S. Census estimate, up from 31,465 at the 2010 census.
The first settlers came to Schertz around 1843. Some of the families on the immediate land surrounding Schertz were the Boettigers, Schertzs, Schneiders, Seilers, Maskes, and Mergeles. Members of the Schertz family still reside in the city. The first name of Schertz was "Cibolo Pit", then "Cut Off", thus named because when Cibolo Creek flooded, the settlement was cut off.The first settlers planted wheat, oats, and corn, which did not need special equipment to harvest and process. In later years, cotton was planted, and proved to be a productive cash crop. In 1870, the first gin was built by the Schertz family. It was powered by mules and then later by steam. This gin was located where the post office is at the present time.The second cotton gin built by Weyel and Kallies was between First and Second streets. In later years, there also was a corn sheller and lumber yard. The first school, built in 1890, was across Cibolo Creek where the Randolph Stables are now located. In 1917 a new two-story brick school was built, later torn down to make room for the O'Henry School. The land for the school was donated by Adolph Schertz.In 1876, one of the largest boosts to Schertz came when the Galveston, Harrisburg, and San Antonio Railroad was built through the town. This gave the people a chance to travel to San Antonio by rail instead of wagon or buggy, besides goods being shipped in and out. The first post office was established in 1882. At that time Schertz was still known as Cut Off. In 1899 it officially became Schertz. Sebastian Schertz owned and operated a general store when the railroad was constructed.