Venus is a town in Johnson and Ellis counties in the U.S. state of Texas. The population was 2,960 in 2010 (2,895 in Johnson and 65 in Ellis County).
The town was originally named "Gossip", until its development in the late 1880s. A man by the name of J.C. Smythe purchased 80 acres (32 ha) of abandoned cornfields in the northeastern corner of Johnson County and began to plan a townsite. He named his new town "Venus", after the daughter of a local doctor. By 1888 the new town had a post office and a population of around ten residents. Being at the junction of two major railroads, Venus prospered and for a time was one of the fastest growing communities in Johnson County. By the 1920s, Venus had its own schools (including a small college), several businesses, a weekly newspaper (the Venus Express), and a population which exceeded 800.