Westminster is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in northeastern Collin County, Texas, United States. The population was 861 as of the 2010 census.
The city was first settled in 1860, and named "Seven Points". It grew quickly, and by 1885 had absorbed the neighbouring communities of Prospect and Graybill. In 1888, a private school was established; the building was later sold to the Methodist Church, establishing Westminster College. The college, a preparatory school for prospective ministers, was named after Westminster, Maryland, a Methodist stronghold in an otherwise predominantly Catholic state.Within a year, the residents of Seven Points decided to change the name of their community to Westminster. The town received a post office branch in 1899, and Westminster was incorporated after a vote of 38 to 19 against, on June 17, 1916. Around the same time, the Greenville and Whitewright Northern Traction Companybuilt a railway line from Anna to Blue Ridge that passed through Westminster.Economic and population growth followed afterward, and from the turn of the 20th century into the 1920s, Westminster served as a cotton market and trade center for local farmers.