Wylie is a city once solely located in Collin County but now extends into neighboring Dallas, and Rockwall counties in the U.S. state of Texas. It is located on State Route 78 about 20 miles (32 km) northeast of central Dallas and centrally located to nearbyLavon Lake and Lake Ray Hubbard.
Originally called Nickelville, reportedly after the name of the first store, it was organized in the early 1870s. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railway laid tracks a half mile north of the original townsite in 1886. The businesses of Nickelville moved to take advantage of the railroad within the following year, and the City of Wylie was incorporated in 1887 along the right-of-way. It was named for Lt. Colonel William D. Wylie, a right-of-way agent for the railroad and Civil War veteran.