Delaplane is an unincorporated community in northern Fauquier County, Virginia, located approximately 50 miles (80 km) due west of Washington, D.C.
Located in the heart of Virginia's famous Piedmont Hunt Country, Delaplane was originally known as Piedmont Station because it formed around a station of the Manassas Gap Railroad (chartered 1850 to connect the Alexandria and Orange Railroad with the Shenandoah Valley through Manassas, Virginia). In 1874 it was renamed in honor of W. E. Delaplane, a prominent Ohio businessman who generously restored operations at the local general store which had faltered in the aftermath of the American Civil War. In 1861 General Stonewall Jackson had marched his troops from Winchester to the Piedmont Station train depot, where they loaded onto rail cars headed for the First Battle of Manassas. This marked the first time a railroad had been used to move troops into battle. Union troops also used the same railroad line in later battles.Delaplane has also encompassed some of North America's oldest fox hunting territory, and from 1932 to 1945 Delaplane's Cobbler Mountain range hosted many of General George S. Patton's fabled escapades with his Cobbler Fox Hounds club. Patton was Master of fox hounds until his military transfer to Hawaii in 1935, and the club was disbanded ten years later upon receiving news of his untimely death in Heidelberg, Germany. Today Piedmont Fox Hounds based inThe Plains, the oldest fox hunting club in the United States, still hunts Delaplane's rustic, stone wall lined terrain; as do Orange County Hunt based inMiddleburg and Old Dominion Hounds.