Haymarket is a town in Prince William County, Virginia. The population was 1,782 at the 2010 United States Census, although a 2012 population estimate places the town's population at 1,909.
The town of Haymarket was formally founded in 1799 on the land of William Skinker. The Virginia General Assembly gave Skinker the rights to layout the town, which he drew to consist of 13 streets and 140 lots. Shortly after, a clerk's office and jail were constructed sometime in 1801, as the town had been selected to be the home for a now District Court. Today St. Paul's Church stands in its location. The town owes its early thrive in business to the court.Six years later in 1807, the Virginia General Assembly abolished the District Court in favor of the Circuit Court system that was to be located at each county seat. Until 1830 the Court House remained the focal point of the town while serving multiple purposes. In 1830, the Court House was converted into and deeded an Episcopal Church; three years later in 1833 being consecrated St Paul's.Haymarket was incorporated in 1882, the second town in Prince William County to do so.