Black Canyon City is a census-designated place (CDP) in Yavapai County, Arizona, United States. The population was 2,697 at the 2000 census.
Black Canyon City has been known by several names in the past, including Goddard or Goddards, Cañon, and Black Canyon. Goddard's was a stage stop on the Phoenix to Prescott line, a military stopover en route to Fort Whipple and Fort Verde during Territorial days, and a supply center for mines in the southern Bradshaw Mountains. The area was first settled by Americans in the 1870s, and the first post office was established as Cañon in May 1894, with postmaster Charles E. Goddard, and was discontinued in October 1899. It was reestablished again from February 1903 to November 1906. A famous early settler was Jack Swilling, who moved here in 1871. The walls of his ranch house, Swillings Cabin, the oldest building in the community, still stand.