Bodega is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Sonoma County in the U.S. state of California. The town had a population of 220 as of the 2010 Census.
There were formerly two Coast Miwok villages in the area: one (called Kennekono) sited near the current town and another (called Suwutenne) further north. In 1843, Captain Stephen Smith established the first West Coast lumber mill near Bodega. Around the same time, John A. Sutter bought land from the Russians, an area that included Bodega. His land purchase included "some hunting rights, a small boat, several rusty cannons, and some old muskets." In 1859, shipbuilders constructed Saint Teresa of Avila Church, which later appeared in Alfred Hitchcock's film, The Birds. Potter School was also used for scenes in the film. Potter School is now a private residence. Photos can be taken from the streetside.