Nipton is an unincorporated community in San Bernardino County, California, on the northern edge of Mojave National Preserve, west of Searchlight, Nevada and accessible via Nevada State Route 164. It has a population of 60 people.
Nipton was originally founded on February 9, 1905, with the coming of the first train on the newly constructed San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad. Originally called "Nippeno Camp" following a nearby discovery of gold, the name was changed to Nipton when the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad merged with the Union Pacific Railroad around 1910. In addition to being a cattle-loading station for several local ranches, the town and depot also supplied numerous mines in the area, becoming a social center for the sparse population of the region.