Boyds, Maryland is an unincorporated community in rural Montgomery County, Maryland, located about 20miles(30min) north of Washington, DC.According to the United States 2010 Census, the ZIP Code Tabulation Area (ZCTA) for the town of Boyds covers an area of about 26 square miles (67 km2) and has a population of 10,460.
The community was named for Colonel James Alexander Boyd (1823–1896), a Scottish immigrant who was a construction engineer for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O). He built a temporary village to house construction workers as the B&O built the Metropolitan Branch line after the Civil War. The railroad line began service in 1873. A mill, stores and other businesses were established in the area after the railroad station opened. The B&O opened a brick railroad station in 1887, and demolished it in 1927 to make way for installation of a second track. A wooden station was built as a replacement, but was later taken down. Commuter Rail service (chiefly to Washington, D.C.) is still provided at Boyds by the MARC system.James Boyd established dairy farms in the area and lived in the town until his death in 1896.Boyds has until recently been a predominantly rural area. The first phase of modern development occurred in the 1980s, following the creation of the man-made Little Seneca Lake.