Brandywine is the name of an unincorporated area in Prince George's County, Maryland, United States. The population of Brandywine at the 2010 U.S. Census was 6,719 for the CDP.
William H. Early named the town of Brandywine as property he owned in the mid-19th century. The CDP consists of the property he owned in the 19th century. It is thought to be named after the Battle of Brandywine of the American Revolutionary War. Brandywine was developed on the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad's Pope Creek (Southern Maryland) line in about 1873 and was the only town on the route that developed into a railroad town.On September 1, 1877, around 4 p.m., a small 2.7 magnitude earthquake struck Brandywine.In 1912, the Bank of Brandywine was chartered from what had previously been the Southern Maryland German-American Bank.