West Friendship is an affluent semi-rural unincorporated community in western Howard County, Maryland. West Friendship is located at the junction of Interstate 70 and Maryland Route 32. Frederick Road (Maryland Route 144) is a main thoroughfare.
Like many small communities in Howard County, West Friendship developed slowly as settlers moved west. As adventurers set out to survey the area, they established land tracts in the 1700s, many before the Revolutionary War. Stein's history (1972) lists land grants given to families whose descendants live in the area today. The families of Warfield, Ridgely, Selby, Hobbs, Cross, and Cissel helped create what is now West Friendship. In the 19th Century, the main road through West Friendship was filled with travelers who could find comfort at mile houses along the route. The population of West Friendship totaled fifty by 1887. Some came to settle; others, like the circuit rider ministers, rode on horseback from church to church, making it more convenient for residents to attend the nearest service. Early travel was rough, but most residents were adept at horseback riding. Many traveled over the Frederick Turnpike built in the 1790s. Empty land soon gave way to Thomas S. Cross's general store and post office in West Friendship.