Cheyney is an unincorporated community that sits astride Chester and Delaware counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. It corresponds to the census-designated place known as Cheyney University, which had a population of 988 at the 2010 census.
Originally, Cheyney was located at the intersection of what is now Creek and Cheyney Roads. The original "Cheyney's Shops" dated from the mid 18th century and were located on the north west and north east corners of the intersection of Creek and Cheyney Roads. The original Cheyney Post Office was located there as well as the general store, hotel, blacksmith shop and wheelsnith's shop. There are old maps that show "Cheyney" to be located at the intersection of Creek (sometimes Tanguy) and Cheyney Roads. All the newer maps show the location of "Cheyney" to be on Station Road.The Cheyney Family originally owned nearly 10,000 acres.William Cheyney was the first postmaster in 1835. The John Cheyney Log Tenant House and Farm and Melrose are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.