Gap is a census-designated place and community in Salisbury Township, Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. The population was 1,931 at the 2010 census. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.8 square miles (7.3 km2), all of it land.
Gap has a history which can be dated as far back as William Penn's first visits to the area. Isaac Taylor erected the first house in what would become the Gap in 1747. The area around Gap had a copper mine and what at the time was the only nickel mines in the United States.The town was named after The Gap in theAppalachian Mountains.A stretch of railroad line was laid through areas of Sadsbury Township and Salisbury Township, which portions of each township share the Gap ZIP code (17527) and the town name of Gap.