Manchester Township is a township in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 18,161 at the 2010 census.According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 15.9 square miles (41 km2), of which 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2), or 0.13%, is water. The township is bordered by the city of York to the south, and the borough of North York is enclosed on three sides by Manchester Township.
Manchester Township, deriving its name from the English Duke of Manchester, was laid out in 1742 by Thomas Cookson, a representative of the Lancaster County Courts, because at that time York County was a part ofLancaster County. In the entire township there were 300 inhabitants. The first settlers were English Quakers, with German immigrants settling later and establishing it as an important agricultural community.The Emig Mansion, Sinking Springs Farms, and Willis House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.