Fentress is an unincorporated community in Caldwell County, Texas, United States. According to the Handbook of Texas, the community had an estimated population of 291 in 2000.
A settlement first called Riverside, for its location along the San Marcos River, was founded at the site in 1869. In 1892, the community was renamed Fentress in honor of local doctor and landowner, James Fentress.A post office was established in 1893.In 1915 Josh Merritt and his partner C.E. Tolhurst created a resort. It has swimming and camping facilities.