McLean is a census-designated place (CDP) in Fairfax County in NorthernVirginia. The community had a total population of 48,115 as of the 2010 census. According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 24.88 square miles (64.4 km2) of which 24.79 square miles (64.2 km2) is land and 0.09 square miles (0.23 km2) is water.
The community received its name from John Roll McLean, the former publisher and owner of The Washington Post, who, with Stephen Benton Elkins and French aristocrat Jean-Pierre Guenard, built in 1906 the electrified Great Falls and Old Dominion Railway (later the Washington and Old Dominion Railway), which connected the area with Washington, D.C. McLean named a railroad station costing $1,500, of which $500 was raised locally, after himself where the rail line (traveling on the present route of Old Dominion Drive) crossed the old Chain Bridge Road. The community itself was founded in 1910, when the communities of Lewinsville and Langley merged.