Moving can be a daunting activity, especially when you are relocating to a far place. This is why it is very important that you choose an effective moving company, as the movers will determine how smooth the packing and moving process will be. Movers are unlike any random service provider, like waiters. If the waiter places the wrong order for you, all he has to do is to change it. But if a mover does a pretty bad job packing, like drags your furniture against the floor, damages essential electronics, or packs different items in the wrong moving boxes, then you are sure to have one hell of a day unpacking.
So you can see how essential they are, which is why you need to appreciate them even after you have paid for their services, especially when they have done an exceptional job. Although the movers aren’t going to just stick around your house waiting for you to tip them, it is generally believed that they did a bad job or you weren’t satisfied with their service if you don’t. So it is very important.
The question now, is: “How much is enough?”
Since there is no specific tipping price, you can go with whatever you feel is suitable, or the regular 15 – 20% tipping price. Everything depends on you.
Here are some factors to consider when tipping movers:
- The physical and environmental conditions the move took place in: We all know that an effective moving process greatly depends on the condition of the weather. Moving items in the house is already hard enough as it is, so if the movers did their very best in freezing temperature, then it is important that you show appreciation.
- How difficult the move was: all houses are not the same. The moving strategies involved in moving items in a one bedroom apartment is very different from moving items in a four-bedroom apartment. Also, if you have an upstairs house that requires the movers to move up and down the stairs, or if you didn’t properly pack your belongings, so the movers went the extra mile to place them in boxes for you, or if you have to move out of your home in a short period of time, and the movers beat the mark, then it is very good that you acknowledge their hard work.
- The quality of service: Personal tastes vary, so if you think the movers did a great job based on what you saw, then you can provide a larger tip. Remember to tip each worker, no matter how small it is. Do not give the money to one person to distribute, as it may create chaos.
ASIDES FROM TIPPING, ARE THERE OTHER WAYS OF SHOWING APPRECIATION?
Yes. Apart from tipping, there are other ways to acknowledge their presence and appreciate a work well done. Even though it is not expected of you, it doesn’t hurt to do something extraordinary. Plus, you will able to build a good reputation for yourself in the company.
- Provide a cooler filled with cold drinks or water and snacks: As it was stated earlier, moving is a very stressful activity, so it will be nice if you provide cold drinks and snacks for the movers.
- Provide food: On a larger scale, you can also provide food for them, depending on the time of the day they are working.
- Give a good review of the moving company online: A good referral is worth more than silver or gold. So it is very good to leave a good online review of the moving company and tell your friends about them, so as to help the moving company grow and expand.